Friday, September 28, 2007

I's not so goods at da math

I taught my statistics lab this morning and then was chatting with our secretaries and our office manager. They were ordering supplies and I was being very helpful. (Get the green folders! Why? Because I like green! I'm the most helpful person ever!)

Our office manager is taking some classes at the university to get her degree. I'm pretty sure the university pays for a certain amount of courses per year for its employees, which is pretty awesome. Our office manager was looking over some homework, for Math 1100 or something like that. The point is, it was college algebra.

She placed the homework on the desk for all of us (me and the two secretaries) could see. None of us said anything. Why? Because we had no idea what the answer was. Yes, I do have a bachelor's degree and half a master's but that doesn't mean I retained my college algebra. I have kick ass short term memory. I have no need for information to take up too much space in my head.

In an attempt to be amusing and make small talk, I told our office manager that I could have made up a number, but it wouldn't have been right.

Without missing a beat, she says:

"I knew you didn't have the answer. I know what you majored in for undergrad."


How freakin' awesome is that? I got clowned on by my office manager!


As an aside, I'm not sure if its a good thing that I can teach a statistics class with my rudimentary math knowledge. I mean, everything's done by software, but I should probably know how the stuff actually works. Oh well.

I can run regression. I can run correalation. But I's nots so goods at da math.

No comments: