Sunday, September 9, 2007

Something that happened to me

I've been trying to get my spiritual life in order. I did really well when I was little, around elementary school. Then I realized how messed up my family was, and things kind of got out of whack. I've been trying to put things back together the last few years, starting when I did a semester abroad in Asheville, and I think I'm getting closer. I had an experience a few weeks ago that made me think about it.

I was driving back from Concord and I was praying. I usually listen to music, but I wasn't that day. I was just thinking about my future and wondering what God wanted me to do. I'll have my masters in May and I still don't know what I'm supposed to do. So I was driving in my car, praying, and I heard two words:

"Trust me."

I feel like that was what God wanted me to hear. Honestly, I feel like I heard God. Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think so.

I've noticed that I hear God, or can at least have a better idea what God wants from me when I calm down, focus, and pray. I think that's the whole point of church, to have a quiet place where everyone can hear God's voice. I think a lot of people that lack religion can't hear God because they aren't listening.

I'm going to try and do what I heard God tell me. I'm going to try and trust God, and not freak out about the future. I don't know what I'm going to do in eight months, but I think that if I just keep working hard, and listening for guidance, I'll end up where I'm supposed to end up. Oddly enough, its not scary for me when I think about God being in control. I do my part, and God will do the rest. Its active trust. Its not, "I will sit on my butt and do nothing and expect God to bless me", its more like trying to do the best I can, and trusting God to do the rest.

I hope it works out. I believe it will.

No comments: