Sunday, December 30, 2007

I go to a Yankee church

I sat next to this old man named Dick, who I worked on a Habitat house with. We exchanged pleasantries....peace of the Lord, peace of the Lord.....and then we started singing the first hymn.

Dick is the worst singer I've ever heard in my life. He sings with a Yankee accent. And singing is a bit of a stretch. There is no difference between when he talks and when he sings. So I listened to "Alleliua alleliua" in a monotone Northern accent. It was pretty awesome.

Then another old man went to do the readings, and he had a super thick accent. We've been overtaken by carpetbaggers!

If I ever have children, I can't take them to Advent. Because they'll learn to speak with a Northern accent, and I'll have no idea what they're saying. And with a bunch of UConn fans descending on the Queen City for the football game on Saturday, I can't imagine it will get much better.

No comments: