Monday, October 22, 2007

Tithing, Saving, Everything

Joel Osteen has a new book. Its about making millions of dollars and not feeling guilty about it. I don't mind Joel Osteen, I just think that the New Testament has more of an emphasis on poverty. So this is a spiritual and an economic argument for me.

I think this is the conclusion I have come to. Budgeting experts and finance experts say we should save 10-15 percent of our salaries. The Bible says we should give 10 percent as tithes. I think I want to do both. This is going to be extremely difficult, but I think I can do it.

I think one way to help will be to include contributions to charities in the 10 percent for tithing. I impulse give to charities. I don't know what it is. You tell me your doing a walk for something, or you know elderly nuns, you just need to give me a link or hold out a bucket. I'm not saying this to brag about myself, I'm also a mildly impulsive shopper. But I think if I give at least 7 or 8 percent of my salary to church and the impulse giving counts for the rest, I can do it.

I also think I can save 10 percent of my money. Fortunately, once I get my MPA I'll be making a lot more. I also have some debt to pay off, but after that, I'm going to be able to start saving.

The tithing/charity needs to start first though. I do tithe, and I do give to charity, but I need to just take the plunge. When I stopped eating meat, I just stopped completely, which works for me. I'm going to write the check for my tithing tonight. No more giving whats in my wallet. I'm really going to start giving ten percent.

I think its up to individuals how much they give. I don't expect anyone to skip meals to tithe. But I'm making enough money now where I need to start sacrificing.

God helped me to stop being white trash, so I need to give back some of what I've been given.

Time to take the plunge.

1 comment:

reliance said...

tithing is also helping people I think. I often do work for free or cheap .Im a HVAC tech