Monday, January 28, 2008

The End is Near

No Armageddon references and demons erupting from the underworld. Instead, a little nostalgia.

I am almost done with my masters, and hence, my college career. I was on the fourth floor of Fretwell, sitting outside the Political Science offices, feeling very odd. I'm going to miss the old girl when I'm gone, and the University in general.

College is a great experience for most people, but for those of us that are from modest backgrounds, it means even more. Its not just the classes, the experiences, the people. For us, its also the opportunity. When college degrees are scarce in your family and when poverty is something you understand, then a University holds so much more.

I don't just have pride in my school, in the "everyone else's school sucks" sense. Although I do think my school is better than everyone elses. I have love for UNCC. I'm thankful for the opportunities she has provided and the appreciation she has shown for me. I thank God for the opportunities that I have.

I don't need my hypothetical children to go to UNCC. I don't even really want them to. It was the perfect school for me. My hypothetical children can go to school in Blacksburg, and I'd be fine with that. UNCC gave me what I needed, and I appreciate that. I don't ask for anything else.




Quickly, two points to stop me from turning into a cream puff.

1. If I lived in another country, they would have paid for my college, which makes those countries better. American exceptionalism isn't really all that exceptional. Sure, we're the only ones to come up with McDonalds and Wal-Mart, but is that really a good thing?

2. Chapel Hill sucks. Just sayin'.

No comments: