Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Economist Ads

I read the Economist a lot. I would read Maxim or Sports Illustrated, but I'm actually a 23 year old grown man. I mean, I likes me some pictures, but I've found myself enjoying the "articles" as well. The Economist, unlike CNN, doesn't have endless sports analogies, so its kind of nice.

However, the Economist has a lot of rich douche bag ads. It turns out that I don't actually want a Land Rover or a Cartier watch. And I don't want to do business in Sri Lanka either. (Although they do have an ad for a Ford Escape Hybrid, which is my dream car. Not having a Cadillac Escalade as my dream car is what's going to keep me from eating cat food as an old man).

The best ad is for Patek Philippe which aparently makes watches. There's a frazzled looking white dude helping his frazzled looking cracker son with his homework. The ad has douche bag phrases like "Start your own tradition" and "You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely look after it for the next generation."

I don't know how much the watch costs. It doesn't really matter. I don't need it. I already have a watch, its called a cell phone. Also, I do want to pass down traditions and knowledge to my children. I'd like to pass on Christmas and Easter. I'd like to pass on my socially liberal and mildly conservative economic views to my child. I'd like to pass on my religion, my values, hopefully not my hair as I will be bald by the time I'm forty.

I don't need to pass on a watch. This isn't 1832. Its actually really easy to tell time these days.

No comments: