Monday, February 19, 2007

Why is this so difficult?

So I helped a professor return exams today for one of the big 150 person lecture classes. I tried to be respectful of the fact that we have a pretty diverse campus with a lot of people from a lot of different backgrounds. So to be respectful, I pronounced the names the way they were spelled on the scantron.

There is a certain amount of racism that goes along with the whole name pronunciation thing. In my hick high school, on the first day of class, my hick teachers would fall all over themselves. God forbid someone had a name that wasn't John or Susan. They couldn't even pronounce my name correctly, and my name's in the Bible. So I don't appreciate people who fumble over names.

I'm passing out the papers, and I get to a "Kbite Farmer". Okay, fine. Possibly an African student. No biggie. I call it out. No response. Oh well. I go through the whole list, get back to "Kbite Farmer". I call it out again. Still no response. Must not be here.

Then this fat, hick looking girl comes up. "I'm Katie," she says, looking indignant. She looks at me like I'm the moron. She can't bubble in her own name. She is a college student at a public university and she can't bubble in her own name! And she acts like I'm retarded! Seriously, Kbite, I mean Katie, kill yourself. You bombed the test anyway.

And how does anyone fail a multiple choice Intro to American Government test? Really? How is that possibly? Sorry guys, but you live here. The majority have lived in America for eighteen plus years. How hard is this question?

Who is the Commander in Chief?

A: The President
B: The Grand Ayatollah
C: Your Mom
D: Potato

The next time some hick complains about immigrants, I want them to take a simple, fundamental test on the American political system. And then when they fail it, we can deport them to somewhere where they'll be welcomed, like 17th Century South Carolina.

No comments: