Monday, January 22, 2007

Because its important to me......

I learned some time ago that I have an unhealthy relationship with money. Its gotten somewhat better, but I still make money way too important. I'm sure it is because I never had enough growing up.

I use money to show approval. I use money to show love. I enjoy buying presents for people that I love. I enjoy buying presents for people that are important to me. I give money to causes that are important to me. And now, I've realized something else that's important to me.

I was sitting in church, and they were passing the offering plate around. Usually this makes me very uncomfortable. Why? Because I have a very unhealthy relationship with money. I've always felt like tithing was wrong. I felt like I could give money more efficiently to a charity, then I would know where the money was going. Which is a joke, because now I'm in the Public Administration field and its not like most non-profits are very efficient with their money.

But I was sitting in church, the offering plate was making its way back to me and I kept hearing a voice say "Prove its important to you." And I realized that I needed to make a commitment. I needed to commit not just my time but also my money. I've been doing devotionals at night, which is positive, but its not that hard for me to sit down and study. It is hard for me to part with my money.

So I decided I needed to start tithing. On Sunday, I put what I had in the plate, but from now on, I'm going to contribute enough that I can feel it. 20 dollars a week, which is sadly almost ten percent of my income. And when I start making more, I'm going to start giving more.

That was my Sunday epiphany. I realized I needed to start giving to show its important to me.

No comments: